Saturday, May 22, 2010

Waikato Rugby Stadium


Among the attractions of Hamilton City is the Waikato Rugby Stadium. Home of the Chiefs and host for international rugby games, a home game at the Waikato Stadium is a must see...(apparently). Fortunately for me there is a game on Friday between the Chiefs and the Crusaders. So along with my fellow travellers that I have befriended at the backpackers hostel, we buy our "green zone" tickets and catch a bus to the Stadium, arriving a few minutes before the kickoff at 7:35pm. I look around me, at the spectators in the green zone and at the people who have paid extra for better seats. It is interesting to see how people in the different zones are behaving. The occupants of the green zone is mostly young people, students I assume, and others who have taken advantage of cheaper seats and a fun atmosphere. These "green zoners" are full of energy, are singing and chanting and waving big home-made banners. Spectators in the seated zones were more reserved, they sat and waited patiently for the game to start, the only form of visual support for their team was the iconic black or white Chiefs jersey. I noticed that wearing this famous Chiefs jersey was a form of social capital, not only were these jersey's comparatively expensive, but it gave the person wearing it a sense of identity. An affiliation with their team who represent their home, the identity of the team becomes intertwined with their own personal identity; their identity was now a united front with the rest of the spectators supporting the Chiefs. The next aspect that I took into consideration was my own company. I recalled my previous publications on packaged tours within New Zealand (Tucker 2007 and Tucker 2005) and how the experience of place is heightened by a) the social capital gained, b) the social interactions and c) the development of ones own identity and group identity. These factors were all coming into effect at this rugby game. I was gaining social capital in that I was participating in an activity that was reputable in Hamilton. I was interacting with young people and other travelers, my own identity was being developed as a traveler who was restricted to a tight budget but which resulted in more fun, and my identity within the group was being developed as I participated and experienced these things with my companions.

No comments:

Post a Comment