Thursday, April 29, 2010

Transporting Me There

On the bus ride to the transport centre I immediately notice how clean and luscious the landscape is around and leading into Hamilton city centre. I feel as if this represents a sense of pride in both the people of Hamilton and the Hamilton City Council in the presentation and living environment. This can be seen as a formation of identity, an identity of place and place value; the importance of the environment and visual perceptions. Arriving at the Transport Centre I notice the abundance of information, guides and brochures that are readily accessible, and it is here that I gather pamphlets and absorb the multitudes of advertisements. It is at this point where I, as the tourist, must decide the course of my travels, meaning whether I want to travel according to a set budget and participate in the cheaper and free activities and sights provided, or whether I want to join guided tours and paid activity packages. I believe that it is this decision, this choice of travel style that will shape my experience as a tourist, that it will expose me to different feelings and emotions which will shape my character and define my identity as a tourist in Hamilton.

No comments:

Post a Comment