Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hamilton Gardens


My first night at the backpackers I met some young youth who were planning on visiting the Hamilton Gardens early on Friday morning, so I decided to join them. for the first hour we walked around the gardens together, exploring the various themes in each space and having little adventures. taking photos every chance we got, as if time was running out and the crazier the photos was the more cultural capital we would gain when we posted them on the internet or shared with friends. I enjoyed this part and I felt that as I took good photos or laughed with them that slowly I was fitting into their 'youth culture' of taking a calm peaceful atmosphere of the gardens and turning it into an adventure in its own right. The youth quickly became bored and wanted to leave, I decided to stay and continue through the gardens by myself. It is at this point where I realize the difference in my experience of the environment dependent on social interactions; neither one is better than the other in this circumstance. with the youth I was able to socialize and laugh, by myself I am able to absorb the full beauty of the gardens and nature. Both equally, yet differently, add to my experience and enjoyment of the area.
(photo from Chris Russett 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment